{Brown Rice Sausage Rolls}







As the name suggests my sausage rolls contain brown rice, its not all brown rice mind you there is some sausage in there too but this way they don't taste too sausagey, if you know what I mean. 

Everyone loves sausage rolls, I don't think I know a single person who doesn't, I like to make these for birthday parties and they disappear the moment I pop them out, its also good to have them in the freezer for dinner, lunch or snacks, they are all rounders sausage rolls.  Gotta love that. 

These are both delicious and sneaky, you can put any vegies in them as long as its grated, pumpkin, zucchini whatever. I like to cook the rice the day before so it dries out a little like you do for fried rice, or sometimes if I'm feeling lazy or I'm short of time I'll use some of the Sunrice 90 second brown rice, you can chuck that straight in the mix.

...the rolls

400g sausages or sausage meat
2 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
2 grated apples
2 grated carrots
1/4 cup of sultanas
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large onion chopped finely
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
s+p

4 sheets of butter puff pastry
1 egg
sesame seeds to sprinkle


Preheat oven to 200. In a big bowl chuck the sausage meat(squeezed out of casings if using sausages), rice, apple, carrot, onion, sultanas, garlic, crumbs and generously season with s+p then using your hands get it all mooshed together really well.

Cut the butter puff sheets in half, put half a cup of sausage mix onto each half and form into sausage shape, leaving a 2 cm space closest to you, brush egg along there then roll it into the sausage roll shape, cut in half and then cut each half into 4 (is this getting confusing?).

Pop the sausage rolls onto a tray lined with baking paper, brush tops with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cook for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden.



Comments

  1. he he he....just made a batch of sausage rolls too for the freezer and tonights dinner! but they wont be as nice as yours - at least now I have your recipe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! definately going to try these! thanks!
    Hanna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment