{Gingerbread People}






I've never made gingerbread people before but Jack wanted to make cupcakes today and I only had one egg, not enough for cupcakes but enough for gingerbread dough so we gave it a go. They are good, not too sweet and the dough was really silky and easy to work with, the control freak in me comes out in the kitchen but today I just filled the piping bags and let Jack do his thing.
 

Sometimes I have to remind myself he is 3 and let him enjoy himself and forget about all the little gingerbread people having two eyes, a smile and buttons, I am sure they are as happy with their new outfits at Jack is.



...gingerbread
125g softened butter
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup golden syrup
1 egg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp bicarb soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups plain flour

Cream butter, sugar and golden syrup until pale, add egg mix it through. Sift over flour, spices and soda, combine to a ball, knead on bench for a couple of minutes (my favourite part) then wrap in plastic and pop in the fridge for half an hour.

Preheat oven to 150. Roll out dough to 4mm thick and cut out your peeps, place on lined tray and bake for 15 minutes. Cool on rack then decorate with icing.

Comments

  1. Must give these a go. The recipe I have never works out quite right.
    We like to decorate ours with white icing and the little maceys dolly mix lollies. I pipe the icing and Aesop places the lollies- allows me to still be a bit of a control freak but let Aesop feel like he is in charge : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment