{Red Lentil & White Bean Soup}





As the weather finally starts cooling down its time to eat soup, yesterday, our sunday we spent the day at the NGV art gallery in the city with the kidlets, when we got home we lit an open fire, our first for this year and I made soup, this is the recipe I used it's really delicious and warming, its also a wee bit fancy with the crisp pancetta and thyme topping. Fancy pants.

We had it with homemade bread, a white one called the New York Loaf, I'll post that recipe later. Its the best bread I've ever baked.

...the soup
12 slices pancetta - chopped
1 onion - chopped
3 cloves garlic - crushed
bunch fresh thyme
400g tin of diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1 cup red lentils - rinsed
2 tins white beans (cannellini)
olive oil
s+p

Put a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in your pan (I use my Le Cruset for soup) and get it hot, add half the pancetta and about 8 sprigs of thyme and cook till brown and crisp, drain on paper towel and just put it somewhere safe (away from the Rex the cat in our house).

Turn the heat down to medium and add the rest of the pancetta, the onion and the garlic to the pan and cook till the onion is translucent but not coloured, add the lentils, tomatoes, stock, water and another 4 sprigs of thyme, bring to the boil then reduce heat and cook for around 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Stir thru the rinsed white beans, add seasoning and cook another 5 minutes till beans are warmed thru.

Spoon into bowls and top with some of the crispy pancetta and thyme, its enough for 4.

Comments

  1. That looks delicious! I wish my family were more keen on soup - although I am rebelling and making pumpkin soup tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment