{Sour Cream & Lemon Cake}






I have to give all credit for this lovely cake to Rhiannon, there's a lemon and yogurt cake on my blog which is one of my all time favourites so this appealed to me instantly, replace the yogurt with sourcream, genius, how could I refuse, it's an awesomely delicious cake, one of those cakes that is better the next day as the sugary lemon topping soaks into the lush dense lemon cake. 

I made it on Saturday when lovely Aaron visited and brought with him a gorgeous lunch including an amazing salad with rocket, pear, dates and candied walnuts, candied walnuts I tell you! what a cool day, eating, drinking then chilling out with the kids in front of the open fire watching Tangled, nice one, love a long lazy lunchtime catchup.



...the cake
185g softened butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tsp lemon zest
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

3/4 cup sour cream

...the glaze
juice of 1 lemon
3/4 cup sugar

Preheat the oven to 160. I used a lined 20cm cake tin but Rhiannon used a bundt, you choose your fav. Cream the butter and sugar then add the eggs and lemon zest and mix to combine. Stir the flour and baking powder together then add half of it and half the sourcream into the butter, mix gently then add the rest of the flour and the sourcream and mix till combined.


Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake until a knife comes out clean (mine took just over an hour). Once cooked, remove from the oven wait a couple of minutes then pour the glaze over the cake and allow to cool.

Comments

  1. Gorgeous cake (and I love the flowered plate peeking out from underneath it) I know exactly what you mean about the lemon sugar topping, it's amazingly delicious :) and that salad sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite cake has the same juice and sugar topping - it is so good! I will have to try this version. Shara

    ReplyDelete
  3. My poor little cup of tea is looking lonely without a slice of this! I wonder how quickly I could make it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment