{Salted Caramel Sauce}




I found this recipe over at always with butter she has a chocolate cake over there with salted caramel buttercream frosting, oh man, that sounds so good, I don't think I could be left alone in the house with that cake. So any who this is the salted caramel sauce which you can use to produce said salted caramel buttercream but its also perfect for icecream, or poured over a sticky date pudding. 

Jack thinks I am a total rock star in the kitchen after producing this, bless him, I think it would make a gorgeous christmas pressy, it keeps for a couple of weeks in the fridge (yeah fat chance) and it is easy peasy to make.

...the sauce
1 cup water
2 cups white sugar
1 cup thickened cream
1 tsp sea salt

Pour the water into a medium sized saucepan and then pour the sugar into the centre, not touching the sides of the pan. Heat over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, don't even think about stirring it, then turn up the heat to high and boil it until it turns golden brown, still not stirring.

Warm up the cream in the microwave for 45 seconds then slowly add it into the sugar using a whisk to stir it and prevent any lumps. Continue to boil until thickened (remembering that it thickens a fair bit once cooled) take it off the heat and stir thru the salt, (taste it, you might like it saltier). Cool it, pour it into jars and pop it into the fridge.

Comments

  1. Holy WOW. I don't think I'd be safe alone with that, I'd be drinking it like water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put a very similar sauce on top of a peanut butter cheesecake on sunday and then mixed it into cream cheese icing for cupcakes on monday but mostly I couldn't stop eating it with a spoon. It looks so gorgeous in the jars... you're tempting me to make more, which is very bad for my waistline...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also fab on pavlova believe it or not, the salt cuts some if the sweetness:) nifty idea as a gift, I would be well pleased with a jar of that in my stocking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would make an excellent chrissy pressy. Can you remind me in Dec?? Pretty please? any any other recipes that would make good gifts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment