{Spicy Chicken Stew with Coconut Rice}





I started making this in my pj's, sometimes I start dinner before I've even had a shower, is that weird?  Jack's home sick from kinder and so the three of us are slouching around, its nice, its a sunny winters day and we are cozy and comfy, I think I'll have a bath once this gets to its simmer stage, I love a bath.

I want to tell you that this stew is outrageously delicious, it has no oil, and no fat but its so full of flavours it's like fireworks in your mouth, so good.


It's a dumbed down version of a neil perry recipe, I was drawn to making it because its a bit different in that you don't fry off the paste you just blend it up then add it to a pan with a few other ingredients and water, what the?   Anyway I was a bit doubtful at first but it works, very clever indeed. I served it with coconut rice, it was a perfect match, just make your rice as per usual including a 400ml tin of coconut milk as part of your total amount of water.


I can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch.



...the stew
2 tomatoes, cored and quartered
4 sticks cinnamon
3 kaffir lime leaves (doubles)
1 tsp sea salt
500g boneless and skinless chicken thigh, thickly sliced
3 tbsp grated palm sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp tamarind puree

...spice paste

4 macadamia nuts
4 long red chillies, chopped
3 red shallots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4cm knob ginger, peeled and chopped
2 stalks lemongrass, tough outer leaves removed, chopped
1 heaped tsp turmeric

First of all make the spice paste, pound all the ingredients together in a mortar and pestle or if you are a bit lazy like me then process them in a little processor, adding a little water, if necessary.

Pop the spice paste, tomatoes, cinnamon, lime leaves and sea salt in a large heavy-based pot, pour in 1 litre of water and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer very gently for about 90 minutes.

Add the chicken, return the sauce to the boil, then simmer for about 8 minutes until the sauce is reduced and the chicken is cooked.  Lastly stir in the palm sugar, fish sauce and tamarind puree, taste and adjust, if necessary.

Comments

  1. Great recipe with promise ... I would probably put the chicken in earlier. Thanks so much for your lovely blog and fantastic recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic meal for winter!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for your lovely comment. I've actually been a lurker on here since discovering your blog through Down to Earth. Loving your choice of recipes and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god this sounds AMAZING. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment