{Mussels For My Man}


 


I'm not terribly romantic, I find cheesy romancey stuff a bit vomittey. However I love my man and I made these for him after his first day back at work, you know as a sort of high five, go you sort of gesture.

The sauce is really subtle letting the mussels shine and I like that, my mussels came from near where we camped last year, Portarlington and were vacuum packed, it made me miss nz mussels, over there in pretty much every supermarket you go into you'll find a tank of live mussels to take home for your tea.  I wish I'd bought those mussels more often, I took them for granted. Mussels are cheap, yummy, lightning fast to cook and bit of fun to eat. Dude food.


...the dish
1.5kg - 2kgs mussels, de-bearded
600ml cream
1 tsp curry powder
1 x leek white end diced
knob of butter
black pepper
1x cup fish stock
1x cup white wine
juice of a Lemon
handful parsley
crusty bread to serve

In a big pot soften the leeks in butter, when soft add the curry powder and turn up the heat. Next add the white wine, stock and cream and simmer for half an hour to reduce.

Add the mussels. Simmer with the lid on stirring occasionally to make sure the mussels are coated in the sauce. When the mussels are opened/cooked stir through the parsley and lemon.  Serve with crusty bread.

Comments

  1. Yummmm Paula, go you. I've been looking for a good mussel recipe to try and I think this might be it. I love that you got "a bit vomittey" in there too, cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, mussels are way underrated here. I still couldn't get over when back in my student days, I could feed me and my boyfriend with $5 for a kilo of mussels and a nice loaf of bread. Yum. I love the use of curry powder in your recipe. That's a very nice fragrant touch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment