{So Not Daggy Chicken Satay}





So lets talk about peanut satay, is it daggy now? a bit like shrimp cocktail? I'm not sure, I'm also not terribly cutting edge cool so I still like to eat both. I have made a few satay sauces in my time, many with the addition of peanut butter but I've never been happy with that arrangement, it always felt a bit like cheating.

Think of this as an introduction by me to you and my perfect satay sauce, think of it as a bit of a blind date, nothing kinky, I can just see the two of you sitting at a candlelit table, easy conversation, zesty little satay picking you up after a rough day.  A pretty good first date, maybe even your perfect match, you can thank me later when you tie the knot.

...the satay
600g chicken breast fillets
1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, finely chopped
2 tsp finely grated ginger
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp brown sugar
½ cup (80g) toasted peanuts, skins off, finely chopped
1 x 270ml tin coconut milk
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced into ribbons
2 red radishes, trimmed, very thinly sliced
½ cup mint leaves
½ cup coriander leaves
limes to serve
rice to serve

You will need to soak 12 bamboo skewers in water for about 15 minutes before you cook.

Chop the chicken breasts into cubes suitable for stabbing onto a satay stick, keep them all a similar size.

Combine the lemongrass, ginger, soy sauce, coriander, cumin, turmeric and 2 teaspoons of the sugar in a small bowl. Add half the paste to the chicken to marinate. Set aside for at least 15 minutes(you can also leave this all day or overnight in the fridge).

Meanwhile, pop the remaining spice paste, the chopped peanuts and coconut milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken and is heated through. Add the lime juice, fish sauce and remaining sugar and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and taste you can adjust further with extra lime juice, fish sauce or sugar, if desired.

Heat your barbecue or frypan to medium. Thread the chicken evenly amongst the pre-soaked skewers. Cook on for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown and cooked through.

For the salad combine the cucumber, radish, mint and coriander in a bowl and add a squeeze of lime. Serve with or without rice but definitely with a wedge of lime.


Comments

  1. That sounds bloody beautiful!
    There used to be a Malaysian restaurant in Moonee Ponds (how's that for daggy?) that did a wonderful satay sauce - lots of bits in it.
    We used to order a stack of entrees like yum cha or tapas - ahhh, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always blown away by your beautiful photography when I visit - I don't eat chicken much/at all but I am definitely bookmarking this for the mint, coriander, radish and cucumber salad. Looks divine! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no-one could call your peanut satay daggy! I've been wanting a good satay recipe since forever - I can't wait to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's daggy mean? I'm afraid that I don't know and I'm rather curious whether this has anything to do with this recipe or not. I'm presuming that it has a detrimental meaning ...but otherwise the recipe looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment