{Brown Rice, Tuna and Green Things Salad}





We have a new gelato shop in our neighbourhood and today we wandered over there with the kids for a try.  It was amazing, I am looking forward to daylight savings now and to more wandering there on a warm evenings. I had a coffee gelato which I always have but its my fav so why not, I don't mind having things over and over again if they are delicious. I drove Jay mad with ordering caesar salads every time we went out once upon a time before we had kids.  So anyways this salad is something I make over and over again, it started off as a Karen Martini recipe but I've tootooed with it a fair bit, it is filling, healthy and delicious, and makes for excellent lunchbox leftovers the next day too.

...the salad
2 cups of brown rice (I use 90 second sunrice to make it speedy)
2 handfuls of green beans, trimmed and cut into batons
40ml of extra virgin olive oil
20ml of sherry vinegar
juice of a lemon
1 tbsp of ground sumac
sea salt and pepper
185g tin of best quality tuna in olive oil, drained
handful of parsley leaves, chopped 
handful of mint leaves, chopped
(sometimes I add a handful of dill too)
1 cucumber, peeled cored and chopped
2 spring onions, finely sliced
3 soft boiled eggs at room temp or warm, sliced
handful pine nuts, toasted


Cook the brown rice, or pop the pack in the microwave for 90 seconds like I do.

Cook the beans in salted boiling water for 3 minutes, remove and then add the eggs to the boiling water and cook them for 5 minutes, remove them and leave them to cool before peeling and chopping.

Pile the warm rice onto a platter and dress it with the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and sumac, season with salt and pepper and stir through the tuna. Next add in the beans, herbs, pinenuts and spring onions, stir or toss with your hands then lastly add the eggs, and serve.


Comments