{Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream}





Oh my lord there are literally buckets of lollies everywhere, I've hidden some in the laundry waiting for the kids to forget about them, Halloween is to blame, don't get me wrong I do love it and afterall I am responsible for filling plenty of other little monsters buckets.  I was supposed to be a werewolf this year but one of the first kids to come to our house said (after yawning no less) "you're a puppy" ??!!  

Anywho the last thing we need right now is more sugar but I've been meaning to post these for a while.  My kids love my cupcakes, in fact everyones kids love my cupcakes, I feel like the pied piper when I produce a batch of these babies and they are so so easy.  Don't tell the boys that though, I'm not wanting to diminish my cupcake baking rock star status just yet.  

...cupcakes
1 1/4 cups of self raising flour
2/3 cups caster sugar
125g softened butter
1/3 cup milk
2 eggs at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract

...buttercream
125g softened butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups of icing sugar
food colouring
splash of milk as required

Preheat the oven to 180, pop paper cases into 12 holes of your cupcake / muffin baking tin. 

Pop all of the cupcake ingredients into the bowl of your electric mixer and beat on a low speed until combined then increase the speed to medium, high and beat for around 3 minutes or until completely smooth and pale in colour.

Spoon the mixture amongst the paper cases, I generally use two tablespoons to do this, one to pick up and one to scrape off.  Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until your cupcakes are golden and a skewer comes out clean.  Pop onto a rack and cool completely.

To make the vanilla buttercream beat the butter and vanilla in the mixer until very pale and creamy, add in icing sugar 1/2 a cup at at time and continue mixing til lovely and light and fluffy, colour the buttercream as you wish and if you feel it needs it add a few drops of milk to achieve your desired consistency.

Spread or pipe onto the cooled cupcakes. 

Comments