{Dark Chocolate & Oat Cookies}




So here we are, school starts tomorrow and so to the kitchen I go to do what I do, bake.  In this instance bake for two little peoples lunchboxes.  I don't know if I want to laugh or cry. 
  
These are a actually a great lunchbox treat, oats and dark chocolate for energy and they are crunchy, I am firmly in the crunchy biscuit camp.  I do not like a soft biscuit I mean come on you might as well just eat cake. I need crunch, serious and sustained crunch.  These cookies are just that, crunchy, oaty and chocolaty but they could easily be oaty and nutty or oaty and fruity and nutty if you know what I mean, just use the base and add what you and your little people love.

...the cookies
250g softened butter
3/4 cup caster sugar
3 tbsp condensed milk
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 cups oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
220g dark chocolate, chopped or use chips

Preheat oven to 180.  Cream the butter, sugar and condensed milk until pale and fluffy.  Tip in the flour, baking powder, salt and oats, stir to combine, lastly add in the chocolate give it a final stir until combined.

Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls and press down onto a baking tray lined with baking paper leaving space in between.  I like to make criss crosses with a sharp knife but its just for show.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until golden, let them sit on the tray for a few minutes before moving to a tray to cool completely.

Comments