{Vietnamese Chicken Salad}




You know when you can't get something out of your head, a song, a person, a movie, a meal? well that happened to me so I made this to replicate something I ate in Richmond about six months ago. A lunch that got stuck in my brain.  If memory serves me correctly its pretty spot on, it is really quite amazing that what seem like a bland bunch of ingredients, poached chicken, carrot and cabbage can turn into something so amazing.  Its all about the dressing, this dressing is the business.     

Also in other news I think I may need to check into some kind of support group as I am currently eating sriracha sauce on everything, I even found myself putting it on a stock standard roast chicken the other night and that's when it struck me that I might have a problem. 

Oh and speaking of support groups we've just watched the entire first season of Transparent on Stan (via the free trial!).  Its so so good.  I would highly recommend it.  I'm in mourning now its over, like when you finish a good book.

dressing...
1 chilli sliced thinly 
2 x cloves garlic grated finely
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp lime juice
3 tbsp sunflower oil

salad...
2 x chicken breasts
125g rice noodles (pad thai)
2 x carrots, sliced thinly or julienned
1/2 a cabbage, shredded or sliced thinly
bunch of mint, leaves chopped
bunch of coriander, leaves chopped
3 x spring onions sliced thinly
sriracha sauce 
salted roasted cashews

Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, once boiling add the chicken breasts, turn off the heat and leave them with the lid on for 30 minutes.  

While that's happening make the dressing by simply combining everything in a jar or bowl and mix.

Once that's done remove them to your board and allow them to rest and cool for five minutes before shredding the chicken using two forks or your fingers.  Pour over 1/3 of the dressing.

Pop the noodles into a bowl and cover them with boiled water for ten minutes, use scissors to chop them into smaller pieces of around 10 cm (easier to combine into the salad and to pick up with chopsticks) then tip them into a sieve run cold water over them then allow them to drain completely before adding to the chicken along with another 1/3 of the dressing.

Lastly chop up the carrot, cabbage, spring onions and herbs and toss them together with the chicken and noodles and you guessed it the last of the dressing.  Serve with sriracha sauce and a sprinkling of cashews or peanuts.

Comments