{Chicken Saagwalla}




I found myself gazing longingly at a photograph someone had taken at an indian restaurant.  Little copper bowls filled with colourful curries, I wished, not for the first time that we had a babysitter, must get that one ticked off the list. Then I just decided to make it myself.  What I felt like was the classic saagwalla, made with mountains of spinach and a touch of cream, I made it with chicken and it was divine, exactly what I needed, minus the leaving the house without the kids bit.

...the curry
3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
2 brown onions, halved and sliced thinly
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp chilli flakes
1/4 tsp ground cloves 
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp ginger, grated
baby spinach leaves 320g
1 large green chilli, sliced
1 x 400g tin tomatoes 
800g skinless and boneless chicken thighs, 
cut into large chunks
juice of a lemon
sea salt and cracked pepper
2 tbsp cream
toasted natural sliced almonds
rice

Heat oil in a large fry pan, fry onions until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the spices, garlic and ginger and fry for a further 2 minutes then add in the tin of tomatoes and simmer for another couple of minutes.


I bought 2 x 160g bags of baby spinach which I zapped in the microwave for a minute per bag. Tip spinach into tomato spice mix, wilt for another minute or so over heat then tip into a deep bowl and use a stick blender to puree (or a blender).
Season chicken with salt. Heat a little more oil in the same pan and fry chicken pieces until golden on each side (do this in two batches).

Add spinach puree to chicken and simmer on medium heat until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Season generously with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.

Just before serving, drizzle cream over curry and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve with rice.


Comments